Monday 4 June 2012

quotation 4

"I am Tally Youngblood, Make me pretty"

I choose this quote because I thought that is was the most important one in the final quarter of the book. It is a sentence that completely changes the book. Even though this is the last thing that it says in the book it really leads the reader on to reading the next book in the series. It is one that will not be forgotten, because it was such a turn around in the way that the book was going. However I was not surprised by this as the name of the next book is pretties I thought that Tally would have to become pretty at some point.

Text to Text. I cannot think of an example in a book that I have read that is about someone wanting to become pretty. In the book Charlotte's web Wilber the pig is entered into a competition and to try to win they try to make him pretty, now this is not directly related to Tally asking to be pretty as for Tally it is a life changing event while for Wilber the pig it is just a contest which he ends up loosing. But the point is that this part of the book Charlotte's web is slightly related to the injustice in Uglies and that is that people will win something in the case of Charlotte's web or be looked up to in the case of Uglies. It is how people are judged on the beauty that has been placed upon them in unnatural ways (not born with it).

Text to World. I think that this is something that is indirectly said when people are getting something done in terms of beauty. They want to become pretty, they are likely to be thinking this in the back of their minds. It is something that people may think to themselves often. Sometimes people are discouraged because of other peoples remarks and this lowers their self esteem making them hurt internally, and making them think less of themselves. However this quote is not in representation of a bad thing as her final intention was to help the people of the smoke to find a cure for the brain lesions. So really this quote doesn't have much to do with being pretty it is just to help her friends. But it is the way that she says it that almost changes the meaning of why she is becoming pretty, she makes it sound like she has been waiting for a long time to get away from the smokies.

Text to Self. I cannot relate this topic to anything that I have ever done but it is something that I have been informed about all of my life. My mother has tried multiple diets, it is not that they do not work but she has a lot of trouble staying in them. Being a part of a Greek family we go and eat lots of food very often at parties and family gatherings. It is near impossible to find the will power to stay on a diet while the people around you are eating food that she would love to have but could not because of her diet. This led her into a different path and this path was excise. My mom enrolled in a learn to run program or a beginners program for running. She lost weight by doing this but it was no short of 3-5 hours a week of doing one of the most boring sports I know. My mom even brought me into this and we started to run together. We would go further and further distances and she would lose more weight. But this weight that she was losing was not the point of this, it was the reason that she was doing this, she was doing it to make herself feel better and show herself what she is capable of.. Joining this sport has been something that changed both of our lives, it has even led me to winning my first race (in my age category) and receiving a plaque. Exercise is something that has helped our family, it can be a team effort. I do not think that it is right that people go to a doctor and get this removed, if she would have done this then she would have never helped me and she would also waste money. I disagree with what Tally is saying in this quote and I do not think that people should be made pretty but it should be something that is worked for.

No comments:

Post a Comment